Recent Posts

Comments

This widget will hold comments

OLD EDS

December 2017
M T W T F S S
« Feb    
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

King Edward VI Grammar School, Stafford, Staffs, UK

Mementos

Some mementos of The School

The origins of the Grammar School go back to medieval times. We know that the school owes its beginnings to the college attached to the Collegiate Church of St Mary, Stafford which was founded before the Norman Conquest. It became King Edward VI School 'One of the Grammar Schools Edward VI did not destroy' in 1550. A fuller history of the school will be included as the site develops.
On a Thursday evening in mid-January 1926 between seventy and eighty old boys and current masters were present at a dinner held at The Swan Hotel in Stafford when it was unanimously decided to form an Old Boys' Association. Col. C H Wright, who during the evening was elected President of the Association, presided and he was supported by Mr E O Powell, former Headmaster. A committee of Old Boys was elected, Messrs W H Westhead and A E Hourd were elected joint secretaries and Mr W J Dean as treasurer.
The Stafford Old Edwardians' Association was officially formed on 14 January 1926 but the School has a longer tradition of keeping in touch with its old boys, as evidenced by the co-opted support given to the first edition of the School magazine, 'The Staffordian' in 1914.
Sadly, although the buildings still stand, the old school on Newport Road was closed as a Grammar School in 1977 and the students moved to King Edward VI High School, West Way to merge with the Girls' High School.